Ok, so what do we have here:
- Mechas wrecking havoc in the city: Check.
- Mysterious girl to make her appearance in key event: Check.
- Motivated but self-doubtful teenage male characters to pilot the Mechas: Check.
- Main character mysteriously better at piloting Mechas then anyone else: Check.
- Long time friends find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict: Check.
- Super-Mecha to end all Mechas presented to the world: Check.
- Bad guy with vague morals and sexual orientation: Check
- Interesting and innovative Mecha designs: Nope, other then the splitting head camera thing they are pretty much your standard-run of the mill Mechas.
- Senseless humor to go with the senseless destruction: Not here, its dead serious.
- Parody as well as homage to the Mecha genera: Not here.
- Smart commentary on inter-human relations: Can’t find any.
- Multiple layers of meaning to make you watch over and over: Nada.
- Awesome animation quality to make up for all the plot holes: None here.
- Semi-satirical commentary about world politics: Nope, it might have well been the “Zulu empire”, seems its the “British empire” so they have an excuse to use Chess and funky nobility titles.
- Doubts about the goodness of the good guys or the badness of bad guys: No sir! Japan=Good, Britain=Bad, kapish?