I’ve been intending to do this for a while and finally found the time, without further ado, I present to you my Oracle prerequisites Puppet script.
I do hope someone out there will find this script useful, I know I do.
There are many ways this script could and should be improved:
- The script needs to be adapted to support more operating systems, namely, other versions of RedHat/CentOS as well as Suse and perhaps even Solaris and other Unix flavors.
- Relatively few additional tweaks are needed to enable the script to prepare RAC nodes.
- The script could/should be made a lot smarter about the way it handles kernel parameters, for now it simply hard-sets their values without taking existing configuration and the available hardware into consideration.
- Likewise, the script could/should be made a lot smarter about the way it handles user limits, I suppose a “limit”Puppet type might need to be implemented to enable that.
- It might be possible to also adapt the script to perform prerequisites setup for additional Oracle products such as Oracle Internet Application Server.
All in all, currently its a rather basic script, but it had already proved it usefulness to me.